Jul 20, 2011

Special dish for a VIP guest

Tonight, our VIP hotel room guest came to "Shizuku" Japanese restaurant for dinner with friends.

He asked me to make one dish which is not on the menu for him. And he told me he liked "Sanma" -pacific saury-.

It was very busy night but how could I say "No".
When someone come challenge me, my answer always is  "Yes, no problem". I just told him "please give me a little time"...
Then, I started think what I could do with "Sanma" to give them "WOW" while running back to the kitchen.

Thanks to my previous boss who is a great chef and specialized in tempura. So, I came up with the idea of deep frying it then mix with sweet and sour sauce. He taught me a lot....



Clean the fish and fillet it into 2 pcs and one piece of middle bones. Put a bit of salt over both filleted meat and middle bones. Leave them for a while then rinse them with water and dry them with kitchen paper. 
Cut the meat into 2-3cm wide pieces, put corn starch around it and deep fry them.

This time, I also deep fried the middle bones and julienne sweet potato (with lower temperature) and cut green asparagus.
Heat up the sweet and sour sauce (mixture of soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, rice vinegar, chopped onion, ginger juice) in a pan, add cut small tomatoes, deep fried "Sanma" meat and green asparagus, then mix them well.

Put them in a orange cup then julienne spring onion and deep fried sweet potato on top.
Pour little bit of the sauce with small tomatoes around the cup. Put deep fried bone on the side.

Garnish the dish with some spring onion, then "Voila!" done!!!



I succeeded to give them "WOW" and they left the restaurant with smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment