Mar 6, 2011

Staff Training

I have been working on the staff training for the new menu.
(Please click on "News" and see what's on the new menu!)
Most of the dishes are new to all of my staff. They have worked without chef for quite few months and I see they are pretty lost... It is not so easy for me...
On top of that, I found Japanese kitchen staff's standards, here in China, are much lower than Taiwanese. Their knowledge and techniques of Japanese cuisine are nothing to compare with Taiwanese...
(Luckily, I mustard their language in past several years and here it comes very handy!)

California rolls. Easy to see what ingredients are inside of the roll on the left picture
 and how it should be presented on the right picture.

Steamed cod fish, tofu and vegetables with crab meat sacue.
See what ingredients come first on the left picture, cod fish on top of it in the middle picture,
 then pour the crab meat sauce over it after steam it for 15mins on the right picture,

I prepare the recipe cards, taking pictures of each dish, print them out for each staff....etc.
Then I look back what it was like when I was an apprentice in Japan, 15-20 years ago...
There was no recipe cards, no pictures, no written instructions, NOTHING!
My master back then would whack me if I asked for a recipe. He would say,
"Recipe? What recipe, you idiot! There is no recipe. Didn't you see what I was doing? Do you really wanna learn? Keep your eyes open and memories the taste of each dishes I make!"

So, things change....
Nowadays, Chefs need to prepare everything for their staff, ask them and please them to learn properly...
huh...

No comments:

Post a Comment